"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."- Leonardo da Vinci

4.16.2014

Stripes make me happy

It has been a tough winter, so I guess it is no shock that one of the first things I wanted to knit for my little one, was a cozy blanket, something to cuddle her in. I wanted to make an heirloom piece, that she would be able to use throughout her childhood, but then tuck away, to give to her own children one day.

But how to choose? There are so many beautiful patterns out there. I had to find a way to narrow it down. I wondered, should I go with a more intricate pattern, or something simple? To me, in order to show off an interesting pattern or stitch you are better served with a solid colour yarn, whereas if you want to play with colour you are better served by a plain stockinette or garter stitch, maybe even cables. Once I looked at it this way, I decided that I wanted a colourful blanket.

I had always admired these blankets by the Purl Bee, so I started researching yarn and colourways. I can tell you, I splurged....BIG TIME. Six skeins of Madeline Tosh Merino DK will set you back a bit. None of my LYS carry the colours I was looking for, so I had to take a chance and order based on how they looked on my computer's screen. I was a little nervous opening the package, but once opened I absolutely loved my choices. The colours are incredibly bright and intense, and the yarn itself, oh, so soft. The colours I chose are Calligraphy, Fragrant and Candlewick.




I cast on 140 stitches and off I went. I needed a mindless project like this, while I sat in the NICU waiting for my little munchkin to grow and get healthy.You would not believe how many moms and nurses approached me to ask, and talk about my knitting. I became known as the "knitting mom", and they would come and check in on my progress. Many stopped to chat about their own crafting (mis)adventures, and to say that they would love to learn, or re-start, knitting themselves. 

I am always amazed at how this craft can so easily bring people together. It speaks to a side of us that is open, kind and loving. Being able to connect over knitting, changed my relationship with them, it made it more open and, well...kind. Once again, proof that knitting brings people together. I am sure I have recruited some new knitters.

I finished the blanket a few nights before she came home. It gives me such joy to cuddle her in it now, and to think of what the future may hold for this little, and incredibly strong (and cute!) baby.





4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, she is so beautiful and precious!! and the blanket is beautiful, lucky little one to have a knitting mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, knitting moms are the best aren't they?

      Delete
  2. Your blanket came out stunning! And Sienna wrapped up in it is even more gorgeous.

    I picked up a sweater's worth (also 6 skeins) of Tosh in Toronto for a sweater. I figure I don't carry it, I won't carry it, and I won't really shop at competition at home, lol.

    I agree, that knitting brings people together, it's just unfortunate how some knitters are not always open minded. Oh well!

    Can't wait to see what you knit next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you will LOVE working with it! What pattern did you have in mind for it? As for knitters, I totally agree, unfortunately such is life...

      Delete