"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."- Leonardo da Vinci

8.25.2015

Dîner En Blanc

Have you ever been to Paris? It’s a magical city. I have visited a few times now, and it’s forever surprising, always beautiful and increasingly fascinating. I do not think I will ever have enough of it.

One of my favorite memories, is of walking through the streets one night and coming upon this huge gathering of people. There were hundreds of tables set up, all draped in white tablecloths, lights, flowers, music, everyone dressed in white as well, sitting down, having supper under the stars. A mesmerizing picture. 

For years I wondered about this gathering, until a couple of years ago when I heard about “Dîner en Blanc”. Are you familiar with it? It’s an outdoor picnic, in a secret location that changes every year. You dress in white, bring your own table, chairs, and food. You set up, have dinner, after which there is dancing, and it all wraps up at 23:00, when you gather your things and return home. I cannot tell you how much fun it is. We have participated twice now, and it is the perfect date night outing. It’s now being organized in lots of cities around the world. 

I really enjoy the anticipation, the planning that goes into it. Thinking of what type of food to bring (we opted for sushi this year), what to wear, how to decorate the table, it all adds to the excitement of the event.


via Instagram 




What does this have to do with knitting? Well, nothing to be honest, except that, even though the event is usually scheduled at some time in August, I do live in Montreal, and the weather can be  capricious. That made me think, a beautiful occasion such as this deserves a knit. Something beautiful to grab in case it’s chilly. Something special enough for such an event. I am planning on having it ready for next year’s Diner, and I have narrowed it down to  the following 3 patterns. Which is your favourite?


Aisé






8 comments:

  1. oh wow, that looks amazing! I have heard of those dinners, they actually do one here in Toronto, but I haven't been before. I'm having a tough time deciding between the bamboo wedding shawl and the Artesian shawl, those are my two faves. Not sure if that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, you have to try it! It is so much fun and it feels so special to be a part of such an event. I am personally leaning towards Artesian as well.

      Delete
  2. Oooooh - I think the first one?? I have just finished a complicated lace pattern and am in the middle of a complicated colour-work sweater, so simple things REALLY appeal to me! What a fun project and event to look forward to :) Can't wait to see what you choose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really attempted a real lace pattern, so I think I am leaning towards Artesian. You should sign up for the Toronto one, I am sure you guys would LOVE it.

      Delete
    2. I'm finding I really like lace - though it's not very portable. Colourwork I deeply dislike! Mind you it's likely the pattern I'm working on. The Baa-ble hat that was all over Instagram and Rhinebeck looked like fun. A giant, early 90s sweater that my aunt bought at Briggs and Little may be the end of me ;)

      Delete
  3. aise....for me :) btw did i mention i love reading your posts ?! kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! I actually think I may attempt Artesian... :-)

      Delete
  4. I think you should do the Bamboo Wedding Shawl (#3). Definitely knit it for next year! So where was this year's location in the end?

    ReplyDelete